Starting Over

Thursday, August 10, 2006

From Constable to Kandinsky

Two exhibitions at Tate Britain and Tate Modern respectively, were more interesting for me in terms of understanding the artists process than the actual works themselves. Constable is, alas, however accomplished too chocoloate box-y for my personal tastes, and Kandinsky too 'busy'. What I found interesting about each exhibition was learning how each artist gave attention to composition and arrangement of pieces within their (quite different!) works. I enjoyed seeing how the pictures were formed, reworked and fit within notions of balance, point of view and perspective; and how colour and form were arranged.
Visiting the Constable exhibition also gave me the opportunity to explore a family connection to one of his pictures - although what I discovered provided only a partial answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home