Starting Over

Friday, January 05, 2007

Brad Gooch - Zombie00

I discovered Brad Gooch via the Dennis Cooper blog - and was recommended to read one of his novels. I found Zombie00 on abebooks and am very pleased I did.
Zombie00 is a surprising book - and by that I mean its not what I expected from an ex-model who has also written gay self-help books (or at least one) - so that was all my initial prejudices shattered.
As opposed to Scott Heim's zombies out to seek revenge Gooch's zombie is an altogether different character. His young character is fascinated by a visit to the Sacred Voodoo Chamber at the Scranton Art Museum or perhaps this visit merely represents and names a state of desire for worship and obedience. Zombie00 takes this character on a journey from Pennsylvania to New York, to Haiti and back to New York as he adopts a series of zombie masters. It's a fable of a kind, but one that takes in bodybuilders, S/M, and abuse (although consensual abuse if there is such a thing). Gooch portrays in crisp and matter of fact writing the compeling desire for an all absorbing relationship, and in particular 'Zombie's desire for a master to serve, obey and take care of him.
Despite a weak ending this was a fascinating and vivid read - and I'm looking forward to reading more of Mr Gooch.

1 Comments:

  • david c...
    the dunedin sound...well I became pretty obsessed by it...still am really. At any rate, was Bathgate as great as the lone single I possess? Those records were like gold to me here in L.A. Really a unique and influential scene amongst my friends. I envy your being able to toss off that sort of "o yeah I saw em all" thing. No doubt there would be many that I would have loved.
    Anyway thanks again, Mark

    By Blogger heliotrope, at 7:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home